witticisms by Jess Witty

March 13, 2013

Bountiful Banners


Well, hello there, friends!

It's the middle of the month and that means it's time to get knee deep in Papertrey Ink projects again :)  {All of Papertrey Ink's newest products will be available for purchase at www.papertreyink.com on March 15.}

And, oh man, the new stamp set the design team is bringing you today...
I think you're gonna like it :)


Here's a little Bountiful Banners project for you.

Bountiful Banners + Mini Blooms + By the Numbers dies = love


But the finished project is a far cry from where this project started out...

I made the above card during last month's release.  My original idea was to use it to show off the smaller stamps in the Mini Blooms set.  However... I finished it up and I just couldn't shake the thought that it still needed a little something.  I loved the concept but it didn't seem quite finished.

Soooo... it was put in the "on hold" drawer. You know... that place where you put unfinished projects that are just waiting for the final burst of inspiration.  {Currently have another project from this month's release on hold right now as a matter of fact.}


Enter this month's Bountiful Banners set.
I saw the images and I knew that it would be just right for my little on hold project.


I started from scratch in order to tweak a few things. 

First off, I wanted to really show off the way that the flower images were stamped so I added the die cut number negatives (using the By the Numbers dies) to the front of the card.  Using a Kraft layer on the front of the card helps show off the white Bountiful Banner die cut and stamped images. 

The key to this card is actually in the die cutting. 

I made a mask to stamp the Mini Blooms images through by die cutting both the kraft panel and an extra layer of cardstock together at the same time.  Just lay the mask over the inside of the card, being sure to add the center piece from the "0" in where it belongs as well. Then use the various Mini Blooms images to stamp within the open sections of the mask. 



I love the extra little images included in the Bountiful Banners set so I traded out the original "&" I used for this one :)  The "fabulous" image is from Fabulous Frames.  I moved the sentiment to the bottom of the card to keep it from showing through the clear part of the card front.


As for assembly, I also needed to die cut the white card front.  I just placed it on the platform of my Big Shot, carefully placed the already die cut kraft panel on top of it, and put the number dies back in their original places.  I also covered it all with a panel of copy paper to prevent any scarring marks that the plates from my machine leave. 

The white card front then got a layer of clear cardstock over top, followed by the kraft panel.  The clear cardstock gave me a place to add the center of the "0" to the card.  {If the dies you're using for your card don't have negative pieces like that you could always skip the clear layer.}  And the sweet Bountiful Banners images top everything off.  


Welllllll... I'm gonna go ahead and tell ya... you're going to be seeing a lot of that little banner set round these parts :)  You know how I feel about basic sets that go with *everything*... this one's a winner, folks. 

And it's your lucky day because the design team is pairing Bountiful Banners up with all sorts of sets today!  Check 'em out...

Nichole Heady
Betsy Veldman

More to come tomorrow!


{Happy Birthday} card
Supplies not available now but available 3/15: 
Stamps - Bountiful Banners
Die - Bountiful Banners
Supplies available now:
Stamps - Mini Blooms, Fabulous Frames
Ink - Aqua Mist, Hibiscus Burst, Raspberry Fizz, Summer Sunrise, Simply Chartreuse, Limeade Ice, True Black
CS - White, Kraft, Clear
 

31 comments:

Unknown said...

Well your first card looks good but what you did to make it over is absolutely fabulous!!

Anonymous said...

This card has to be my all time favorite of yours! (until the next one, I guess...) Brilliant!

Flutterby Creations said...

Simple + Stunning = Love!

Kristii said...

I totally love it!! It's amazing what one little change can do!! You are amazing!!

Jill Norwood said...

Love this! Thanks for the info I'm how you made it too!

jan metcalf said...

Love your card, love the acrylic layer inside, so sweet to share all the details with us! You don't have to be 50 to be fabulous!

LEG Studios said...

Wow! Love your final result ... so glad your "on hold" project found it's day in the sun! I was just asked this morning to make a 50th birthday card for a friend's DH, so I'm totally going to case this great design with a masculine pattern. Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

Jessica, I love your work! You are a true artist!

Lisa Beeman said...

Absolutely LOVE your card!!! Thanks for giving us such great instructions on how to achieve this look. :)

Unknown said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this! :) Beautiful!

Zgirl said...

As usual your card is stunning. I saw a little peek of it on Nichole's blog and had to pop on over to tell you beautiful your card is...thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

This is an all time favorite. It is just lovely! Simple, yet colorful and happy!

jintyoo7 said...

What a brilliant idea - so pretty :)

Kris said...

EVERY month I look forward to seeing what you have created. This month is a winner once again!

Roxann said...

AWESOME!! Your concept is fabulous from start to finish!

Cindy said...

Love, love, love this card! Thanks for the "mini" tutorial, too!

Cindy - 1mamacyn@gmail.com

Mendi Yoshikawa said...

Your card is amazing. I love it inside and out. :)

Elizabeth S. said...

This is such a fantastic card!

conil said...

This card is fabulous. As always well-designed and executed. You're the bomb.

Debra Miller said...

Love this card - totally fabulous. Deb

suzeyq said...

Love the makeover! Awesome card!

Jean Franks Beck said...

Absolutely brilliant! Such a clever idea and so very pretty.

Holly Saveur said...

STUNNING love everything of it!!

TLady said...

SUPER USE OF DIES & THE BANNER!!!!!!!!! :) LOVE Kraft cardstock too! AND the stitching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) (There are just CERTAIN THINGS that I LOOOOOOOOOOVE! ) :)AND you've put them together WELL!!!!!!!!! :)

Sam B said...

I am SO going to try this...really like this card and technique with the die negatives a lot!!!! Just wonderful!

Melissa said...

I absolutely love this card! What a fabulous idea! I really want to try this. Thanks for the awesome inspiration!

Lindsey said...

Everything about this is brilliant! Love it!

StephH said...

I LOVE everything about this card Jessica! I studied it very carefully. Thank you for the constrction tutorial. I will most definitely be using your technique!

Holly Gayle said...

I love, love, love this card...it would be awesome for any age, any gender. Love it! Thanks for sharing!

Kathy H said...

A great card! I love your addition.

Lisa Lara said...

Genius card Jessica.